We love porridge on these cold winter mornings, but are you preparing your porridge correctly? For the highest benefits and best assimilation of nutrients, porridge oats should be soaked overnight, or even longer. When you soak oats, the starches begin to break down and beneficial enzymes are released. A similar reaction to what happens when you cook them, however without the damaging effects of heat to other nutrients. The natural phytic acid content of oats is also reduced through soaking. Phytic acid is an anti-nutrient which inhibits the absorption of minerals in the body.
Here we share our winter go-to breakfast bowl recipe, with overnight soaked oats.
Porridge Preparation - Ingredients
50g per person of oats - rolled or cracked
½ cup per person of warm filtered water
1tbs per person of either whey, yoghurt, kefir, buttermilk, lemon juice or vinegar
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, ensuring the oats are well mixed with the liquid, cover and leave in a warm place for at least 7 hours, and up to 24 hours.
Breakfast Bowl Inspo
Have you tried any breakfast bowl recipes? We love throwing together whatever we have available to us, but always always with a sprinkle of Lily Pops! Here we give you some inspo of what to combine with our crunchy water lily seeds Aztec Treasure - coated in 70% dark chocolate and dusted with raw cacao powder.
Breakfast Bowl - Ingredients
prepared oats (as above)
½ cup per person of water or milk of choice
butter or cream (optional)
sweetener of choice (optional)
Aztec Treasure Lily Pops
mixed berries - blueberries, raspberries and strawberries are our favourites!
1 banana, chopped
1tbs peanut butter
sprinkling of chopped nuts & seeds, cacao nibs, and the magic ingredient: LOVE!
1) Bring ½ cup per person of water or milk of choice to the boil with a pinch of sea salt.
2) Add the soaked oats, cover and simmer for 3 minutes.
3) Place porridge in a bowl. At this point, you may wish to add butter or cream for a more luxurious texture, and those using lemon juice or vinegar will most likely want to add a sweetener to their porridge to hide the acidic flavour of these ingredients. Look for a natural sweetener such as maple syrup, raw honey or date sugar. Add to taste.
4) Top with Lily Pops, fruit, peanut butter (for protein), nuts, seeds and LOVE.
5) Eat mindfully and enjoy being in the moment before the day begins!
← Older Post Newer Post →